Tuesday 29 September 2015

Thinking Backwards & Forwards (PTC 1)

Reflecting on my use of e-learning/ICT against the PTC

Key Question: How do I/can I use e-learning/ICT to establish and develop working relationships with my ākonga, their whānau, and my colleagues to support the learning of those I teach?

What a question! Having spent a considerable amount of time lately reflecting on my practice and trying to set goals for my use of ICT and e-learning in 2016 I thought it would be wise to think about how my current use of ICT and all things e-learning helps meet the requirements of the PTC. So here goes...

Where do I start? Like all things, it is easy to fall back on what you know. For me, it is the PYP Key Concepts. As it is with my class, I stress the importance of just how great these 8 concepts are! I find myself consistently applying them not only to school but to life in general. With that in mind, it is time to attack PTC 1. 

 

Criteria 1: Fully registered teachers establish and maintain effective professional relationships focused on the learning and well-being of all ākonga.

Key indicators: Engage in ethical, respectful, positive, and collaborative professional relationships with:
- ākonga/learners
- teaching colleagues, support staff, and other professionals
- whānau and other carers of ākonga/learners
- agencies, groups, and individuals in the community.

1. Developing relationships with students

What? So What?
- Using a class blog to create an anywhere, anytime learning environment.
- Students have been able to use e-learning tools to share information about themselves providing a way for me to connect with them and discover some insights into who they are. I have used tools such as as Survey Monkey to provide students opportunities to contribute ideas and opinions.

Now What?
- Consider introducing individual blogs for students (2016) What are the implications of this? How will this develop/modify my programme? Who do I need to ask for permission?

2. Developing relationships with parents/whānau and the wider community

What? So What?
I found it both a challenge and a success this year trying to use e-learning tools to develop on-going relationships and interaction between home and school in order to support learning in my class. The class blog has been successful in providing anytime, anywhere access for parents/whānau to engage with their children's learning. It has been a useful way of sharing news and information directly and in one space. The use of e-Portfolios and the links to these provided on the blog have enabled parents/whānau to participate and provide feedback on their child's learning anytime. 

Now What?
- Thinking about ways in which I can foster/use social networking tools such as Twitter/Facebook to further encourage a positive relationship between home and school.
- Considering how I could use tools like Survey Monkey and Google Forms to capture the thoughts and opinions of the wider school community.
- How to more effectively engage parents/whānau and the wider community in reflecting on the use of e-portfolios.

No comments:

Post a Comment